Sunday, March 05, 2006

Bangalore and I - Part 1

Bangalore and I actually go a long way back. As the preferred migration port for many of my relatives who earlier lived in villages in Karnataka, it has quite a collection of my near and dear ancestors and fellow branches of the old family tree. It was and still is the only city in which I have actually gotten lost. Not that losing myself is such a rare occurrence, but till date have never again managed to do that to myself in such urban surroundings.

It’s a dim memory of my childhood, when my family and I were out visiting some of the branches mentioned above, when I took in my head to display the explorer instincts that are the bane of my co-passengers whenever I am ferrying them around, and left the house. It was in a remote suburb of the city and as of then, underdeveloped. Therefore, great empty plots of land filled with beautiful grass and flowers surrounded it. So, unknowingly and unwittingly (sadly a major part of my character build-up) I walked fast and far. Soon, I realized that I had not paid attention to any of the landmarks that ensured your safe return to the place of starting, nor had I unrolled twine to guide me back to square one. I had even forgotten to leave crumbs of bread or other baked produce to act as a guide and lead me back to the kitchen that provided me with it. Now as I had failed to use any of the three tried and tested methods of marking your way, I had to conclude that I was lost. Utterly and completely lost.

So, there I was a cute kid of ten, with twinkling eyes and an open and cheery face, lost in the great city of Bangalore. Calmly I started thinking of my life ahead without parents. How I would have to heave stones and build buildings for the rich of this city, while my parents lost and disconsolate roam around trying to find me. But the months of hard labor and low nutrition would have already transformed me in to a lean mean Amitabh Bachhan, beedi smoking and attitude spewing. Till one day the resident don of the city would take me under his wing, impressed by my English and Hindi speaking abilities, would groom me in the secret arts of war and smuggling and make me the de-facto head of his international operation. Then I would amass lots and lots of wealth, forever forsaken for my family, a sweet memory and nothing else.

It seems while debating the merits and demerits of this life as opposed to the life that was seemingly being laid out by my most proximal ancestors, I had sat myself down on a rock and started contemplating. To my utter surprise, I started hearing trampling and twigs breaking in the near vicinity. Thinking hard about the local fauna of this city, I narrowed the source down to either a buffalo or an elephant escaped from his mahout. With lightning speed, woodcraft was flashing through my brain, whether to run, hide, play dead or climb a tree. Then I heard the strange animal call. It was a strange call, almost human like, bi-syllabic too, strangely sweet sounding and soothing to the ears. It went something like “weee---boooo” repeated constantly.

Then the source of this strange oral emanation was standing in front of me. Towering actually with severe anger in his eyes. Looking up at that moment I was cursing my brain for thinking too much and not acting by climbing that stupid tree or running away. Then suddenly I looked behind and to my great surprise and pleasure, the mate of the being walked right up, eyes that were more easier to behold, with love and sincere concern.

My parents had followed me into the wilderness after discovering that I was back to my usual tricks. It was also very embarrassing to discover that all I had done was walk through the gate and get lost in circles in an empty plot, three plots down the lane. So dragged back by a belligerent father, angered at having to cut short the evening tea and gab session, followed by a smiling mom, I was presented to the great twigs of the family as a butt of jokes to come, while I was protesting that I was not lost, but just contemplating the next great novel that I was writing to change the world.

2 comments:

Me said...

:) I don't remember you getting lost, but never mind. - Shashi.

Nats said...

hehehehehehe.....ur bro doesnt remember u getting lost...hehehehehehe....please remind him.....