Friday, March 02, 2007

Where is the food!

Travel a lot nowadays and so as usual my diet has become pretty much vaired as it can be. From simple dal roti to all the usual usal / misal varieties of rural maharashtra.

The previous month, things had gotten to such a head, that the moment I used to board the ST bus, I would in my pidgin Marathi ask the driver of the conveyance, where in God's brown Maharashtra are you stopping for dinner? Is it any good, has it got a Michelin rating? On hearing the Michelin bit, he would sneer at me and say wot sir, this bus takes JK tires not Michelin.. but well, am stopping in Deopur because the owner of the canteen there is the cousin of the husband of the daughter of the ST corporation chiefs aunt.

So I ask is the food good, he very simply said no. Already fearing for the assault on my delicate duodenum lining over and above the jarring of the spine and the attack of high frequency and mid frequency noise on my beautiful ears, I would groan and ask why, o great mover of the rural poor, why do you do this..?

He justs looks back at me over his shoulder, starting the bus, saying.. the owner of the canteen is the cousin of the husband of the daughter of the ST corporation chief's aunt...

No comments: